Classic Pad Thai
This classic Thai take‐out can easily be made at home. Once the ingredients are prepared, it takes only about 10 minutes of actual cooking time.
- 8 oz flat rice noodles
- ⅓ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed, patter dry
- 6 oz drained cubed firm tofu, patted dry
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted peanuts
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 4 lime wedges
- 8 Thai chilies
- Place noodles in large, heatproof bowl; top with boiling water. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well and refresh under cold running water.
- Whisk together sweet chili sauce, oyster sauce, lime juice, fish sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sugar; set aside.
- In wok or large non‐stick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the oil over medium‐high heat; stir‐fry shrimp until they start to turn pink, approximately 1 or 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) oil, tofu and salt to wok; stir‐fry until tofu starts to turn golden, approximately 1 or 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to wok. Stir in eggs; fry for 1 minute. Add noodles, then sauce; stir‐fry for 3 or 4 minutes. Return tofu and shrimp to wok; stir‐fry until shrimp is cooked through, and noodles are tender and steaming, approximately 1 or 2 minutes.
- Garnish with bean sprouts, green onions, peanuts and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and Thai chilies.
- Substitute thinly sliced chicken for shrimp if desired.
- If you like, spice up this dish with more chili peppers to taste, or decrease the chili peppers to suit your taste.
- Calories 800
- Fat 40 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Trans Fat 0.1 g
- Sodium 1920 mg
- Carbohydrate 79 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugars 14 g
- Protein 32 g