Egg‐in‐a‐Hole with Salsa and Feta Cheese
Fun to say and fun to eat, this egg dish can be served for breakfast, lunch or even a quick dinner.
- 4 bread slices
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Pinch each salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup medium salsa
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Using 3‐inch (8 cm) round cutter, cut out circle from centre of each bread slice; reserve centres.
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat; cook bread slices until lightly toasted, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and crack 1 egg into hole of each bread slice.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness, approximately 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to plates.
- Toast reserved bread pieces for 1 minute per side or until golden brown. Top eggs with salsa and feta cheese. Serve with toasted bread rounds.
- Substitute feta cheese with goat cheese.
- Try preparing this recipe with whole wheat, white or egg bread.
- Calories 230
- Fat 17 g
- Saturated Fat 9 g
- Trans Fat 0.4 g
- Sodium 720 mg
- Carbohydrate 22 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 10 g