Vegetarian Chili with Baked Eggs and Avocado
Chef Trevor Bird put together this chili that will warm up your entire home; the perfect dish on a cold day.
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 100 mL water
- Pinch of salt
- 100 mL olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 cups button mushrooms cut into ¼ quarters
- 2 cups carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 can (540 mL) canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp canned chipotles (Mexican smoked jalapenos)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp of sour cream
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Bread, to serve
- Place onions and garlic in a large pan or pot with 100 mL of water, a handful of salt, and ¼ cup (50 mL) of oil, then put a lid on it and bring to a boil. The water helps draw out natural sugars in the onion giving you a sweeter product. Cook on medium heat and stir every 5 minutes until the onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Add in cumin and coriander and stir for 5minutes on higher heat; this is your chili base. Remove from pot.
- Wipe down your pot to clean it and, on the highest heat you possibly can, caramelize mushrooms in the remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) of oil for about 5 minutes, making sure you do not put more than one layer of mushrooms at a time. When the mushrooms are well caramelized, turn down heat and place chili base of onions back in.
- Add carrots and celery, stir for 5 more minutes. Add the sugar and shortly after, add in vinegar. Reduce till no liquid is left.
- Add in tomatoes and chipotles, bring to a simmer for 30 minutes; add in all the chili powder and season with salt to taste.
- Place 6 oz in an oven safe bowl and crack 2 eggs in the chili, then place in the oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 10 minutes until the egg is set but the yolk is still runny.
- Dice an avocado and place on top with a dollop of sour cream, cilantro, lime wedge, and crusty bread.
Nutrients per Serving:
- Calories 586
- Fat 41 g
- Saturated Fat 8 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 203 mg
- Sodium 773 mg
- Sugars 14 g
- Fibre 12 g
- Protein 15 g
- Carbohydrate 46 g